Application for Research or Quality Improvement Project Grant
Information on Eligibility Criteria and Materials Needed for the Application
Application Due October 1, 2021
The Principal Investigator (PI) or Project Lead applying for this funding must:
- Be a registered nurse, licensed in the State of Wisconsin (License Number required)
- Be a member of the American Nurses Association/Wisconsin Nurses Association (To locate membership number go to: https://www.nursingworld.org/membership/
- Not have received NFW funding in the three (3) previous years.
- Adhere to the NFW Research or Quality Improvement Grant Award Submission Guidelines (length/format)
The NFW prefers to fund projects that have not been implemented or previously funded.
The Research/Quality Improvement Project Grant Award recipients will be selected through a peer review process using the National Institute of Health as applied to Nursing Science criteria which is as follows:
1) Significance: Does this project address a relevant nursing-related issue or problem?
2) Approach: Are the conceptual framework, design, methods, and analyses adequately developed, well-integrated, and appropriate to the aims of the project? Are efforts to provide protection of human subjects and data adequately described? Does the applicant acknowledge potential limitations and consider alternative approaches?
3) Innovation: Are the aims original and innovative?
4) Investigator: Is the investigator/lead appropriately trained and well suited to carry out this work? Is the work proposed appropriate to the experience level of the principal investigator and other researchers (if any)
5) Environment: Is the environment in which the work will be carried out adequate to support the success of the project? Is there evidence of institutional support?
Procedure and Needed Materials for Application
Prepare Application with the following information:
1) Title Page including title of project, PI or Project Lead, list of collaborating colleagues investigators, department and/or school and contact information including ANA/WNA membership ID number, address, phone number and e-mail.
2) Abstract (Limit 250 words)
3) Current Curriculum Vitae or Resumé
4) Letter of Reference If the applicant is a student, a signed letter of reference from the major professor.
5) Brief Project Description (not to exceed 5 pages, single space, 1” margins,12 font type)
- Statement of the problem/purpose and or PICOT question
- Specific aims/research questions
- Significance of the research/project
- Brief review of background literature including current state of the science in this area, including hypotheses and/or theoretical/conceptual framework as appropriate.
- Research or project design and methods (describe subject selection with human subjects’ protection, data collection, research or project procedures and or /measures, and outcomes analysis plan). The methods must be congruent with the purpose and conceptual basis for the study.
6) Appendices (not included in 5- page limit)
- All data collection tools
- Selected reference list in APA 7th edition format
7) Proposed Budget and justification including (not included in 5- page limit)
- A specific breakdown of projected costs.
- The availability of in-kind matching funds/grants.
- Whether grant application(s) have been submitted for consideration or grants received for the proposed study from other funding source(s).
- Other funding sources if the study were to be funded at a level below or projected costs.
Note: This NFW Research or Quality Improvement Grant award cannot be used to pay indirect costs.
8) Timetable for completion of the project (limit 1- page) (not included in 5- page limit)
NFW Approved Grant/Quality Improvement Project Award Recipient Information:
Applicants will receive notification of committee selections for awards by October 15, 2021. The notification will not include a critique of the proposal.
Funding will be made available to recipients January 22, 2022.
Monetary awards are made to applicant.
Recipients are expected to submit a financial report within 90 days of the end of the one-year period.
Recipients are expected to present findings at a pre-determined WNA sponsored event (Conference, webinar, other.).
Any publications resulting from the research project must acknowledge: “Funded in part by the Nurses Foundation of Wisconsin”.
Please direct any questions to Bri Dunbar, WNA Membership & Events Coordinator, email@example.com