ONLINE SELF-STUDY PROGRAM
Diabetes is a persistent chronic disease that impacted 8.2% of Wisconsinites in 2019. The Wisconsin Nurses Association is involved in a five year grant focusing on Chronic Disease Prevention and Management including diabetes, hypertension, and high blood cholesterol. One strategy of this grant is to increase referrals and awareness of DSMES services in Wisconsin. This webinar was created to inform healthcare professionals on how to connect patients to DSMES services, where DSMES clinics are located, and the key role that Diabetes Care and Education Specialists play in the process. The Wisconsin Nurses Association presents this free, four-part online learning series to health care professionals who want to learn more about:
- Components and benefits of DSMES services
- Key times to refer patients for DSMES services
- Components of a DSMES services referral
- Reimbursement for DSMES services
- Locations of DSMES services in Wisconsin
- Opportunities for establishing collaborative relationships to support the efforts of DSMES services
- How to become certified as a Diabetes Care and Education Specialist (CDCES)
Portions of this program were first presented in the April, 2021 webinar ‘Registered Nurses: A Critical Component of the Team for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) Services’.
This program is offered free of charge through a chronic disease grant from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Wisconsin Division of Public Health.
Presenters: Valerie Hon, BSN, RN, NCSN; Marilyn Hodgson, MSN, RN, CDCES; Gwen Klinkner, DNP, RN, BC-ADM, CDCES; Christine Veenendall, BSN, RN, CDCES
Target audience: Registered Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Diabetes Care and Education Specialists, Physicians & Physician Assistants
CE Credit: no longer available – ended 12/31/22
HANDOUT and ONLINE RESOURCES
Handout for Videos #1-4 (PDF of PowerPoint slides and links to resources)
- 2017 National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
- CDC Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) Toolkit
- Map of ADA’s Primary DSMES and ADCES’s Main DEAP program sites
- Search for ADA Recognized Education Program by zip code
Wisconsin CDCES Diabetes Affinity Group
Join this FREE networking opportunity for all healthcare professionals to continue your learning and spread best practices discussing diabetes care.
With this community, we bring together all parts of the healthcare team including Diabetes Care and Education Specialists, their clinician colleagues, and stakeholders committed to helping and serving people with diabetes by providing skills and practices to enable them to better manage their disease
SERIES VIDEO PRESENTATIONS
#1 Basics & Reimbursement (12 minutes)
#2 Service Locations (30 minutes)
#3 Service Delivery (33 minutes)
#4 Becoming a CDCES (17 minute video with embedded 11 minute video from CBCDE)
For questions, please contact email@example.com.