PURPOSE: To provide financial assistance to a registered nurse in Wisconsin who demonstrates the potential of making a contribution to nursing in Wisconsin.
The successful candidate is pursuing a graduate degree with preparation as an Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in one of the four APRN practice roles: Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM), Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA), or Nurse Practitioner (NP), or currently is an APRN in one of the four APRN practice roles, and is pursuing an advanced degree.
Up to four scholarships are awarded annually at a maximum of $2,000. Money to fund the scholarship is obtained through donations to WNA’s NP Forum and other methods of fundraising.
- Nurses Foundation of Wisconsin, Inc. (NFW)
- Wisconsin Nurses Association Nurse Practitioner Forum
- The candidate must have a current license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Wisconsin.
- The candidate must be a member of the Wisconsin Nurses Association.
- The candidate must provide verification of enrollment in a master’s nursing degree program, post-master’s nurse practitioner certificate program, PhD program, post-master’s certificate program, PhD program, or DNP program at an NLN or CCNE- accredited School of Nursing.
- The candidate must be enrolled in the academic year following application.
- The candidate must demonstrate a potential to make a contribution to professional nursing in Wisconsin.
- The candidate must demonstrate a financial need.
- The candidate is enrolled in an educational program preparing for one of the four APRN practice roles as a CNM, CNS, CRNA or NP, or currently holds an APRN credential as a CNM, CNS, CRNA or NP.
- Completed applications are accepted until March 1, 2022.
- Applications are reviewed by the NP Forum Board, and awards are presented at the Annual Pharmacology & Clinical Update.
- The NFW is notified of the selected applicants.
- The NP Forum and NFW President notify all applicants of the outcome of the awards process.
Applicant must complete the online application form and upload electronic copies of the following:
- Copy of the State of Wisconsin Certificate of Registration (State of WI RN License)
- Evidence of WNA membership
- Evidence of acceptance/enrollment in a master’s nursing degree program, post-master’s certificate program, PhD program, or DNP program at an NLN or CCNE- accredited School of Nursing
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Letter that identifies 1) professional goals; 2) how the applicant plans to contribute to professional nursing care in Wisconsin, and 3) progress in his/her course of study (not to exceed one page, please)
- Two letters of support that address the applicant’s qualifications
- Written description of financial need
Applications from previous Mary Barker Scholarship winners will not be considered.