ONLINE SELF-STUDY PROGRAM
Did you know that 52% of people with hypertension in Wisconsin are not adequately controlled? We can do better! It starts with accurate blood pressure measurement.
Beyond the 50%: Accurate Blood Pressure Measurement 2.0
Materials Developed and Posted September, 2017; Updated October, 2019
This evidence-based self-study program was developed in collaboration with the Wisconsin Division of Public Health, MetaStar, Inc., and the Wisconsin Nurses Association utilizing resources from the American Medical Association. It is offered FREE OF CHARGE through a chronic disease grant from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Wisconsin Division of Public Health.
PURPOSE: Protect and improve the health and safety of patients, families, and populations through accurate measurement each and every time a blood pressure is taken including by patients through self-measurement.
1. Understand the “M.A.P. Framework” as an evidence-based approach to prevention and control of hypertension developed by the American Medical Association and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
2. Learn the importance of accurate measurement and how to avoid common errors.
3. Explore how to partner with patients and engage their participation in accurate self-measurement.
TARGET AUDIENCE: All personnel measuring blood pressures or instructing patients in self-measurement, including nurses, other health professionals and assistant staff working in public/community health settings; also students in technical college/university healthcare programs.
PRESENTER: Linda Murakami, RN, MSHA – Senior Program Manager, Quality Improvement, Improving Health Outcomes, American Medical Association
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT: Is no longer available for this program.
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION: September 30, 2020
INSTRUCTIONS: View the Program Video below. Check out the Additional Resources for information useful to your practice setting.
PROGRAM VIDEO (53 minutes total)
- Presentation handout (follows the PowerPoint slides)
– Self-Monitored Blood Pressure Monitoring video by WNA
– Clinical Blood Pressure Measurement video by WNA
– NEJM Videos in Clinical Medicine: Blood Pressure Measurement
– 7 Simple Tips to Get an Accurate BP Reading
– How to Measure Your Blood Pressure at Home
– Protocols for Controlling Hypertension in Adults from the Million Hearts® website
– November 2017 ACC-AHA Hypertension Guidelines At-A-Glance from WNA updated 2021?
– Hypertension Training Resources 2018 from WNA
WEBSITES WITH RESOURCES
– American Medical Association and American Heart Association – Target:BP / Tools and Downloads
– Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – High Blood Pressure
– National Institutes of Health – High Blood Pressure
– Using Patient-Centered Team-Based Care to Improve Hypertension Prevention, Detection, and Management in Wisconsin 2017 WNA webpage
Questions? Please contact the WNA office at 608-221-0383 or (800) 362-3959 or email@example.com
This educational activity was jointly provided by the Wisconsin Division of Public Health, MetaStar, Inc., and the Wisconsin Nurses Association.
Wisconsin Nurses Association is approved with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by Montana Nurses Association, an accredited approver with distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Funding for this program was received from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Public Health through its Wisconsin Chronic Disease Prevention Program, under funding opportunity no. CDC-RFA-DP 13-1305 from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), Department of Health and Human Services.