Healthy Nurses for Wisconsin
WNA’s Healthy Nurses for Wisconsin Mutual Interest Group intends to make the health of nurses in Wisconsin a top priority by building capacity in two ways:
- Promoting outreach and engagement among nurses to support and improve their health.
- Transferring the individual nurse health improvement strategies and skills gained to improve the health of their patients who are at risk for chronic disease.
Data at the state and national levels paint a troubling picture of the health of nurses, our nation’s most numerous health care providers! Data show nurses are at risk for and experience overweight, obesity, sedentary lifestyles, hypertension, and poor sleep hygiene.
Contributors to their health status can be linked to their high-demand roles and shift work coupled in a complex interaction of factors such as lack of time for self, fatigue, nutritional choices, and health promotion knowledge. Nutrition, physical activity, sleep contribute to hypertension.
By teaming nurses with other nurses positive changes can occur at the individual level within the institutions or organizations they work.
Membership consists of:
- Nurses who are interested in being a coach/support person.
- Nurses who are on the journey of improving their health and wanting support
- Nurses who would like to begin the journey on improving their health.
WNA is partnering with ANA on the following activities:
- Individual participation in the ANA Health Risk Appraisal
- Identifying the best resources aimed at informing on improving health
- Interactive website with access to live support
Membership is free and open to any RN or LPN.
A message from ANA on Healthy Nurses, Healthy Nation
Nursing Practice & Innovation
Phone: (301) 628 – 5150 (O)
First, I would like to welcome our newest partners. Thank you for joining us in this movement to improve the health of America’s 3.6 million nurses.
I wanted to remind all of our partners about our 5 for 10 Fruit and Veggie Challenge, which started on Monday 7/24.
We know that 84% of nurses are not eating at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day, so we are doing this challenge to motivate them to do this for 10 days, in the hopes that they will continue the behavior.
Nurses can sign up TODAY, and starting Monday they will receive a daily actionable tip to keep them mindful of how to achieve this goal.
As our partners we are really calling upon you to help us amplify our message of health and wellness in the workplace through the domain of nutrition this summer.
Please help us sign up more nurses to make a commitment to their nutrition by taking on the challenge to incorporate these daily actionable tips throughout the next two weeks.
There are three ways you can help make this challenge a success:
- Join the F + V Challenge as an organizational partner and as users.
- Encourage nurses to first join HNHN by filling out this form and sign up for the 5 for 10 Fruit and Veggie Challenge.
- You can also share the challenge on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Tag us with #HealthyNurse.
We look forward to interacting with you and your nurses in our community.
If you have any other questions feel free to give me a call.