As part of WNA’s Healthy Nurses for Wisconsin initiative, the WNA Board of Directors approved a policy that contains a set of guidelines for healthy meetings. These guidelines were developed by the National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity. WNA believes that it is important to provide leadership and role modeling regarding the promotion of health related behavior and choices. Some of the guidelines adopted include:
- Offer nutritious food and beverage options that follow the recommended servings of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, especially for all-day meetings.
- Provide reasonable portions of foods and beverages (i.e., avoid large portions).
- Provide a physical activity instead of serving food at breaks and help participants achieve at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day.
- Prioritize sustainable practices when possible, by minimizing waste, encouraging recycling, and sourcing products from sustainable producers.
- Evaluate efforts to hold healthy meetings and conferences and make adjustments over time to continue to improve the acceptability and healthfulness of choices.
You can find the Healthy Meeting toolkit at: https://cspinet.org/protecting-our-health/nutrition/healthy-meetings